August 24, 2017
Ontario is partnering with Vantage Foods Inc. and Redpath Sugar Ltd., creating 80 new jobs and retaining 291 positions in Belleville’s food processing sector.
Aug 24 2017 -Lou Rinaldi, MPP for Northumberland-Quinte West, made the announcement today on behalf of Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business.
Vantage Foods Inc. is a leading food processor and distributor of fresh case-ready meat products, which are centrally cut and packaged. The company processes and supplies supermarkets and retailers with safe and efficient delivery, ready for their display cases. With support from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the company is diversifying its product range by adding a seafood line. Investing in new equipment and facility upgrades will help Vantage improve efficiency and increase production capacity to grow its customer base.
Redpath Sugar Ltd. is a leading refiner of cane sugar and provides a wide range of sugar products to consumers, food service outlets and food manufacturers throughout Canada. The Belleville plant co-manufactures major retail brands and private label products, such as iced tea, hot chocolate, drink crystals, gelatins and milk powder blends.With support from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the company is upgrading its Belleville location to add innovative new pouch packaging capabilities. By investing in two new customized packaging lines and equipment, Redpath will enhance productivity and competitiveness, increasing exports and revenues. Supporting business investment in eastern Ontario is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
“Our government’s partnerships with Vantage Foods and Redpath Sugar are strengthening the local economy in Belleville by helping them grow their operations and create good jobs in the food processing sector. Supporting the agri-food industry is a key priority for our government, and the Eastern Ontario Development Fund is just one of the ways we are helping businesses in the sector succeed and grow.”
— Jeff Leal, Minister Responsible for Small Business and also Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
“Vantage Foods and Redpath Sugar are two valued members of Belleville’s business community and I’m delighted that Ontario has this opportunity to work with them as they invest for the future and grow their businesses. The new jobs created will offer new opportunities for local families and demonstrate why the Eastern Ontario Development Fund was created.”
— Lou Rinaldi, MPP for Northumberland-Quinte West
“The approved investments in Vantage Foods and Redpath Sugar will ensure the retention and growth of hundreds of jobs in the City of Belleville. These significant manufacturing investments demonstrate the future of our industrial park is bright and we look forward to working with these companies as they continue to innovate and expand in Belleville.”
— Taso A. Christopher, Mayor of Belleville
“Adding a seafood line to our product range is an exciting new development for Vantage Foods and offers a further innovative option for our valued customers. We look forward to adding to our Belleville team in our continual pursuit of delivering premium quality, case-ready fresh food solutions that can boost the bottom line of our partners in the food retailing sector.”
— Alan Cook, General Manager-Seafood, Vantage Foods Inc.
“At Redpath, we’ve been crafting sugar since 1854 and throughout that time our focus has been on creating the finest products and exceeding the needs of our customers. With the addition of this new packaging technology, our Belleville location will be offering innovative new options for our retail and private label partners as we invest to remain at the forefront of an ever-changing industry.”
— Jonathan Bamberger, President, Redpath Sugar Ltd.
- Vantage Foods project: Ontario is investing $1,500,000 from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $16,537,325 from the company for a total project value of $18,037,325. The project will create 70 new jobs, help to retain 190 existing positions, and is expected to be completed by late 2019.
- Redpath Sugar project: Ontario is investing $624,263 from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, supporting an additional investment of $4,577,929 from the company and other sources, for a total project value of $5,202,192. The project will create 10 new jobs, help to retain 101 existing positions, and is expected to be completed by late 2019.
- Since 2013, the Eastern Ontario Development Fund and Southwestern Ontario Development Fund have helped to create and retain approximately 40,600 jobs and attracted approximately $2.0 billion in investment. The funds cover up to 15 per cent of eligible project costs, with the recipient company funding the remainder from its own resources.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Eastern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Ontario’s five-year, $650-million Business Growth Initiative is helping to grow the economy and create jobs by promoting an innovation-based economy, helping small companies scale up and modernizing regulations for businesses.
Find out if your business qualifies for the Eastern Ontario Development Fund
Recipients of the Eastern Ontario Development Fund
Redpath Sugar, Canada’s longest-running food brand, chose Belleville, Ontario, in the Bay of Quinte region, for its food...
One of Ontario’s leading food processing manufacturers, Vantage Foods produces case-ready fresh meat, such as pork, and...
Ontario is partnering with Vantage Foods Inc. and Redpath Sugar Ltd., creating 80 new jobs and retaining 291 positions in...