March 7, 2016
The federal and provincial governments are supporting a local Belleville chocolatier to create new jobs, increase productivity and strengthen Donini Chocolate’s competitive advantage in the sale and manufacturing of liquid chocolate.
An investment of $127,000 through the Growing Forward 2 program will support Donini Chocolate’s plans to continue to grow and expand by:
- Creating five new full-time positions
- Increasing automation and labour productivity
- Enhancing processing capacity to meet needs of domestic customers
- Expanding international sales through new business with a major US chain.
Growing Forward 2 is a federal-provincial-territorial funding program that encourages innovation, competitiveness and market development in Canada’s agri-food and agri-products sector. The investment in Donini Chocolate builds on support for other eastern Ontario-based companies that have received funding through Growing Forward 2 as part of a $1.9 million dollar investment in eastern Ontario’s agri-food sector.
Since 2013, the governments of Canada and Ontario have committed $33.5 million to almost 680 projects for food, beverage and bio product processor businesses through Growing Forward 2.
Supporting local agri-food processors is part of the government’s economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario’s history and investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.
- Since 2013, Growing Forward 2 has provided a total of over $94 million in cost share funding to approximately 4,300 projects, including $1.9 million in funding for eastern Ontario agri-food businesses.
- Growing Forward 2 was launched in 2013 and is a five-year commitment by Canada’s federal, provincial and territorial governments to support Canada’s agri-food and agri-based bioproducts sector.
- Donini Chocolate, through Johnvince Foods, supplies more than 1,850,000 kilograms of quality milk chocolate in tanker loads to Canadian and international customers annually.
“The agri-food processing sector is of vital importance to Canada’s economy. Investments in this industry are helping to drive growth, foster innovation and create new market opportunities.”
Federal Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
“By investing in small and medium-sized agri-food businesses like Donini Chocolate, our government is helping businesses to expand and leverage new opportunities in both domestic and foreign markets. Growing Forward 2 is part of the Ontario government’s efforts to support our province’s growing agri-food sector by creating good jobs and strengthening the connection between farmers, food producers and consumers.”
Ontario Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
“Donini Chocolate is pleased to have the support of both the federal and provincial governments through Growing Forward 2. Growth has been the result of this partnership and to date we’ve hired more full-time, permanent staff to our team and signed a new contract with a large US retail client.”
President, Donini Chocolate
It might be business up front, but it was a party in back. In a night of celebrations and congratulations, the 22nd annual...
The federal and provincial governments are supporting a local Belleville chocolatier to create new jobs, increase...
Donini Chocolate is celebrating 65 years of excellence in the chocolate industry at their flagship location in Belleville.